The world of politics remains one of the most fascinating career paths for young people who want to make a difference to society. The Young Politician Programme brings high-profile political figures to UCL to give you a full immersion into the rollercoaster world of politics. On the day, seasoned politicians - including a former Government Minister, a current MP, a Parliamentary Aide, Lobbyists, and Think Tank representatives - will come together to create the ultimate political work experience for you.
There are three clear outcomes for the day:
Boost Your Applications
Further, you can reference your attendance on the Young Politician Programme in your UCAS personal statement as an example of where you gained key skills such as working under pressure, problem-solving, teamwork, communication skills, and public speaking. You can also complete the online assessment after the programme and receive a personalised certificate for passing.
The InvestIN Commitment
After the programme, InvestIN continues to act as a platform for you to build a successful career upon. Our alumni have unlimited lifetime access to our depth of expertise; students can contact us with further questions at any time, and we make sure you are promptly given the advice you need. Your attendance on the programme is therefore just the beginning of our long-term commitment to coaching you towards achieving your career ambitions.
Programme Fee: £130/student for the full day. Places are limited. If 2 or more places are booked students receive a 10% discount. Enter code GROUP10 at checkout to benefit from this.
For a full list of terms and conditions, please click here.
|10.30am||The World of Politics||- The key players
- The balance of power
- The pressure and expectations
|10.40am||You Become the MP||- Live news bulletin shows 3 headline stories to handled by you for the day
- You then become an MP for the next 5 hours: face lobbyists, policy experts, fellow MPs, and hostile press….
|11.00am||The Special Advisor||- A Tory Special Advisor tries to sway your opinion on a crucial Brexit issue
- Argue the practicalities vs the ideology
- Challenge the Special Advisor to persuade you, and change the Government's course
|12.00pm||The Policy Expert||- A Think Tank expert pitches a revolutionary policy idea to you
- Battle ideology with implementation
- Can this policy win you the next election?
|12.45pm||The Public Speaker||- Public speaking coaching by a former speech writer for Tony Blair
- Prepare a winning speech for the afternoon parliamentary debate
|2.30pm||The Parliamentary Debate||- Debate against a current MP in a House of Commons simulation
- Explore a gripping international relations issue
- Participate in a live parliamentary vote
|3.30pm||‘Newsnight’||- A former government minister grills you on a breaking news story
- Feel the heat of live political pressure
- Learn to handle hostile press
|4.15pm||Breaking into Politics||- Your route into politics
- Gaining work experience now
- A-level, university, and degree choices
|5.00pm||Panel Q&A||- Live Q&A with leading political figures
- All your burning questions answered
- Make valuable contacts
University College, London (UCL)
The Cruciform Building
Click here to see a map