The Young Lawyer Programme is the ultimate legal work experience for students aged 15-18. The programme wraps up the key knowledge and experience you want to gain, delivered powerfully by leading lawyers from across the board. Throughout the day, you will be immersed in a series of interactive role plays, talks, case studies, and Q&A sessions, to give you a 360-degree experience of life as a lawyer. You will leave the programme with a strong advantage over your peers in the hyper-competitive race for the most desirable legal jobs, and a fantastic experience to include in your UCAS form.
Programme Outcomes and Highlights
1. You will step into the shoes of a lawyer for the day, with activities including:
2. You will gain a competitive advantage over your peers in the race for the most sought-after legal jobs:
3. You will have access to leading lawyers from across the board:
4. Boost your UCAS form and job applications:
Programme Fee: £130/student. If 2 or more places are booked students receive a 10% discount. Enter code GROUP10 at checkout to benefit from this.
For a full list of terms and conditions, please click here.
|10.30am||The World of a Lawyer||- Barristers vs. Solicitors
- Your path to qualification
- The pressure and expectations
- A-level and undergraduate choices
|11.00am||The Solicitor||- Debate with opponents in a high-profile litigation case
- Advise a client on a multi-million pound faulty goods claim
- Improve your attention to detail with a high-pressure legal interpretation task
- Understand how law firms make money
- The path to becoming a partner
|12.00pm||The Barrister||- Live mock criminal trial where you cross-examine witnesses
- Public speaking coaching by expert barristers
- Your morals vs your duties
- The path to becoming a QC
|2.00pm||The City Lawyer||- A senior City lawyer coaches you on the why, where, what, and who of City law firms
- Engage in a live contract negotiation against your peers
- The pressure, the expectations, and the privileges
|3.00pm||The Family & Human Rights Lawyer||- Debate against lawyers in a contentious divorce dispute
- Argue the human rights case: Can your client force his daughter to wear religious clothing?
- Your duty vs your emotions
|4.00pm||Career Coaching – How To Become A Top Lawyer||- Expert advice from the Head of Graduate Recruitment at a City law firm, and a Senior Barrister
- University choices
- Work experience
- Impactful cover letters/CVs
- Interview techniques
- What you can do now to stand out in the future
|4.45pm||Panel Discussion||- Ask all your questions to high-ranking lawyers across various disciplines
- Guidance on applications from those on the inside
- Receive personal advice
University of Manchester
The Schuster Building,
Oxford Road Campus, Brunswick Street
Click here to see a map. The Schuster Building is marked as number 54.